Sunday, December 19, 2010

Ted Corbitt 15k Race Report

           This was my last race of the 2010 season and it will be my first blog entry!  Hurray!  I use these shorter races (under a half-marathon) to test my fitness and track my progression from year to year and I don’t spend any time training for them. My goal coming into this race was just to beat my time from last year of 58:37 a 6:18 minute per mile pace and I succeeded.  I finished in 55:49 a 6:00 minute per mile pace.
            I must admit I was a little bummed when I got the official results because according to my watch and several pace calculators it came out to a 5:59 minute per mile pace, and how cool would that have been to have an under 6 minute mile race under my belt!  I don’t have an official race on record under a 6 minute pace yet, but I can and am sure I will do it.  I was trying figure out why there was a discrepancy and then I discovered that NYRR calculates the pace by miles and not kilometers.  So if you average my pace as 54:49 for 15k and not 9.3 miles it comes to a 5:59 pace.  Oh well hopefully next time I can get it under 6 on the books.
            The conditions today were a little cool but you could not have asked for better running weather since there was very little wind.  I started the morning out by leading a small group warm up with TriLife just in time to get to the corral for the start of the race.  Below are my splits.

Weather:  31 Degrees, 64% Humidity, Wind 3MPH, Fair.
Mile 1 - 5:57
Mile 2 - 5:46
Mile 3 - 6:02   Cat hill
Mile 4 - 5:51
Mile 5 - 6:06   Rolling hills on west side
Mile 6 - 5:53
Mile 7 - 6:00
Mile 8 - 6:16  Cat hill
Mile 9 - 6:03   Beginning to fade
Mile .3- 1:51
Finish  54:49 
I ended up placing 32nd overall out of 3541 and 4th out of 347in my age group.  Not a bad day.


No comments:

Post a Comment